Thursday, May 3, 2012
Italian Cream Soda
My sweet V and I are one in the same. We both have a sweet tooth, and we love getting a yummy drink at our favorite coffee shop drive-thru. When I drive up to order, she tries to yell from her carseat in to the speaker. Her order sometimes changes, but the fact that she always says “yes please” to whip cream is a constant.
My step mom first introduced me to Italian Cream Sodas one summer when I was in middle school. She loved to treat us to special things. Italian Cream Soda was a real hit. I didn’t watch how she made them the first few times, and when I tried to replicate it myself, I ended up with curdled half and half. Who knew that there was a science to making these drinks. I learned quickly that you have to make these in the right order.
V is also my little mini me in the fact that the girl LOVES cream in her drinks. It is a bit shameful how much half and half the two of us go through on a regular basis. But that is discussion for another post.
To make these treats you only need 4 ingredients:
*Flavored syrup of your choice (usually found in the coffee isle) –we currently have raspberry and vanilla
*Half and Half
*Whipped Cream (I went all out and got the extra large can of Redi-Whip)
1. Fill you cup with ice. I like my cup filled all the way. You want to drink this drink really cold.
2. Fill the cup 1/3 of the way with flavored syrup
3. Fill the next 1/3 of the cup with half and half. Your cup should now be 2/3 full.
4. Fill the rest of the way with club soda. Gently stir to mix.
5. Top with generous amounts of whipped cream
* I prefer to enjoy my Italian Cream Soda through a straw. V prefers to just dive in face first and coat her nose in whipped cream. I say, to each her own…..at least she makes the mess look good.